Serge Mouille was a French Lighting Designer; he was born and active in Paris. Mouille studied silversmithing, École des Artes Appliqués, Paris to 1941.
In 1937, he worked in silversmith and sculptor Gilbert Lacroix’s studio. In 1945 he set up a studio while teaching at École des Artes Appliqués, Paris. In 1953 he was commissioned by Jacques Adnet, director of CAF, to design his first lighting fixtures. In 1955, he became a member of the Société des Artistes Décorateurs and Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts.
During the 1950s he was best known for his spindly black lighting fixtures. These whimsical metal lamps were popular in the 50s, but he abandoned the enterprise in 1962 to teach art. He did this up until he died in 1988.
Serge Mouilee lamp featuring three arms of differing lengths.
His lighting from the late 1950s was more solidly architectonic. He designed lighting for Université d’Antony, schools in Strasbourg and Marseilles, and Cathédrale de Bizerte. In 1961, he established SCM (Société de Création Modèles) to encouage and support young lighting designers.
His work was shown from 1956 at the gallery of Steph Simon, Paris. Colonnes lighting demonstrated at the 1962 Salon des Arts ménagers et Batimat, lighting and jewellery at the ‘Formes francaises’ exhibition in Stockholm, sculpture and metalwork for silversmith Saglier at the Grand Palais, Paris.