Deutscher Werkbund German artistic and production association

Poster for Deutsche Werkbund Exhibition in Breslau
for Deutsche Werkbund Exhibition in Breslau

The organisation, Deutscher Werkbund was founded in Munich (1907) to improve products’ design through the joint efforts of artists, craftsmen, and manufacturers: its leading lights were Behrens, Theodor Fischer, Hermann Muthesius and Fritz Schumacher. They also borrowed concepts from the Austrian Jugendstil movement, the Dutch De Stijl group and Russian constructivism. In the public mind, the movement quickly became linked to the Bauhaus. Bauhaus designers and artisans have loudly denounced the preceding century’s architecture and design and rejected historical styles as representative of undemocratic, authoritarian societies.

Deutscher Werkbund organised a major exhibition in Cologne (1914) with Gropius, Taut and van de Velde. Still, a debate arose in which Muthesius argued for industrial design. At the same time, van de Velde spoke for the creative artist/craftsman. After the 1914–18 war, the Werkbund moved away from the Arts-and-Crafts’ redolent position towards the Modern Movement, as the journal Die Form (Design) published in 1925–34 shows. 

A housing exhibition was held in Stuttgart, the Weissenhofsiedlung (1927), under the direction of Mies van der Rohe, which included works by Le Corbusier, Oud and Stam: further exhibitions were held in Paris (1930) and Berlin (1931), but it was disbanded (1934).

Revived after the 1939–45 war, mainly to promote a modernist ideology, it published Werk und Zeit in 1952. The Werkbund has inspired other organisations in Austria (1912), Switzerland (1913), Sweden (1913) and England (Design and Industries Association of 1915).

Sources

Curl, J., & Wilson, S. (2015). Deutscher Werkbund. In A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture. : Oxford University Press. Retrieved 8 Feb. 2021, from https://www-oxfordreference-com.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/view/10.1093/acref/9780199674985.001.0001/acref-9780199674985-e-1426.

Diefendorf, J. M. (1993). In the Wake of War: The Reconstruction of German Cities After World War II. United States: Oxford University Press, USA.

Derby Silver Company – Encyclopedia of Design

Derby Silver Company was an American silversmith located in Derby, Connecticut. It was founded in 1873 and specialised in silverplated hollow-ware. U.S. Patent No. 15,642, June 26, 1888, registered by Watson J. Miller and Henry Berry for M & B sterling trademark to be used on forks, spoons, tea sets, brushes, mirrors and pitchers.

Peter Behrens – German architect and designer – Encyclopedia of Design

Peter Brehens (1868 – 1940) was a German graphic artist, architect and designer. He studied at the Karlsruhe and in Düsseldorf and Munich. In 1893, he joined the avant-garde group associated with the Munich Secession. In 1896, he travelled in Italy· in 1898 studied industrial mass production.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.