Marblehead Pottery was a pottery in Marblehead, Massachusetts.
Herbert J. Hall founded the Marblehead Pottery in 1904 as one of several “handcraft shops” that offered occupational therapy to “nervously worn outpatients.” The shops specialised in hand-weaving, woodcarving, and metalwork, with pottery being the most popular.
Arthur Eugene Baggs, a student at Alfred University’s New York State School of Clay-Working and Ceramic, was hired by Hall. The Marblehead Pottery produced nearly 200 pieces per week by 1908, including vases, decorated tiles, and jardiniéres.
Arthur Irwin Hennessey, Maude Milner, and Hannah Tutt worked on the team. E.J. Lewis was in charge of the kiln, and John Swallow was the thrower. The clay used was a mix of brick clay from Massachusetts and stoneware clay from New Jersey.
The pottery was relocated from Dr Hall’s Devereux mansion to 111 Front Street in Marblehead. In 1916, Baggs took over ownership of the pottery. Baggs was only there in the summers beginning in the 1920s and worked as a glaze chemist at the Cowan Art Pottery Studio near Cleveland, Ohio, from 1925 to 1928. He taught at Ohio State University from 1928 to 1947. Marblehead Pottery went out of business in 1936.
Byars, M., & Riley, T. (2004). The design encyclopedia. Laurence King Publishing.
You may also be interested in
Rookwood Pottery is an American ceramics manufacturer that is located in Cincinnati, Ohio. Maria Longworth Nichols (1849-1932) attended the first china painting classes at the University of Cincinnati School of Design and Maria Eggers in 1874. Competition between Maria Nichols and M. Louise McLaughlin came about when the latter established the Cincinnati Pottery Club in 1879.
The Faience Manufacturing Company was an American manufacturing company that operated between 1880 – 1892 in the Greenpoint area of Brooklyn, New York. There is little evidence of the remains of the Company as it failed in 1892. It manufactured earthenware vases, jardiniéres, and baskets at first.