Designed T-chair and the Elna Lotus Sewing Machine
Douglas Kelley (born 1928) is an American industrial designer best known for creating the T-chair and the Elna Lotus sewing machine.
Kelley studied at New York City’s Pratt Institute, where he met Ross Littell and William Katavolos. They began designing furniture, textiles, and dinnerware for Laverne Originals, a furniture company. They designed the ‘T-chair’ while at Laverne, which won the A.I.D (American Society of Interior Designers) Award for best furniture design in the United States in 1952.
The chair has three chrome steel legs joined by a black enamelled steel T-stretcher. ‘We sought furniture that would work within a way of building, which would not complement or compete but in a sense continue the programme of lines and planes and function as structural elements of the whole,’ according to the chair’s sales brochure. The chair is now housed in the permanent collections of MOMA, the Art Institute of Chicago, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, the Vitra Design Museum, and the Victoria and Albert Museum.
Kelley then accepted Raymond Loewy’s invitation to join La Compagnie de l’Esthetique Industrielle (CEI) in Paris as managing director. He was there for six years (1960–1966) and worked on designing the iconic Elna Lotus sewing machine. He then resigned to lead Lippincott and Margulies’ newly established design office in London. Shortly after, he established Douglas Kelley Associates on Jermyn Street in London.
Byars, M., & Riley, T. (2004). The design encyclopedia. Laurence King Publishing.
You may also be interested in
Marc Harrison (1936-1998) was an industrial designer from the United States. Harrison sustained a significant brain injury in a sledding accident when he was eleven years old. He had to relearn simple functions like walking and talking as a result of the crash.
Eliot Noyes (1910 – 1977) was an industrial designer from the United States. From 1928 to 1932, he studied architecture at Harvard University, followed by stints at the Graduate School of Design from 1932 to 1935 and 1937 to 1938.