He studied at the University of Tokyo under Kenzo Tange to 1954.
Isozaki became one of Japan’s best-known architects of the last quarter of the 20th century. His work was direct, sometimes humorous, with geometric, solid forms.
1954-63, he worked in the office of architect Kenzo Tange.
In 1963, he set up his own architecture practise while collaborating with other architects and studios.
He was a visiting professor at the University of California in Los Angeles; the University of Hawaii; Rhode Island School of Design; Columbia University, New York; Yale University. He lectured at numerous institutions, including universities in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Toronto, Houston, Sydney, Pennsylvania, and Cambridge.
1979-84, he was a jury member of the Pritzker Prize and, in 1982, an international competition for Pare de la Villette, Paris. In 1983, an international competition for Hong Kong; and others.
He published the book The Dismantling of Architecture.
- He designed dinnerware for Swid Powell.
- Rugs included in the 1988 Dialog range produced by Vorwerk.
- 1973-83 Monroe chair and table by ICF,
- 1981 Fuji cabinets by Memphis,
- The bed at the Affinita Elettiva of 1985 Triennale di Milano.
- 1986 jewellery by Cleto Munari.
- With Tange, he was the chief architect for the 1970 ‘Japan World Exposition (Expo ’70),’
- Osaka, and 1965-66 reconstruction plan (international competition winner; with Kenzo Tange) for Skopje (now Macedonia).
- Isozaki designed 1955-58 Kagawa prefectural offices, Takamatsu;
- 1957-58 city hall, lmabari;
- 1959-60 town plan for Tokyo;
- 1971-74 Gumma Prefecture Museum of Fine Arts, Takasaki;
- 1972-74 Kitakyushu City Museum of Art;
- 1972-74 Fujimi country clubhouse, Oita;
- 1972-75 Kitakyushu central library;
- 1975 Shukosha building, Fukuoka;
- 1976-78 Kamioka town hall, Gifu;
- 1977-78 audio-visual centre, Oita;
- 1979-82 Tsukuba civic centre;
- 1981 Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles;
- 1983 Palladium discotheque, New York;
- 1986 new city hall, Tokyo;
- 1986 Los Angeles Museum of Modern Art;
- 1986-90 Art Tower Mito, Ibaragi Japan); 1992 Guggenheim Museum Soho, New York.
- Work shown at 1968 (XIV) Triennale di Milano;
- 1976 and 1980 Biennali di Venezia;
- 1976-77 ‘Man-trans-Forms,’ Cooper-Hewitt Museum, New York;
- 1977 Biennale di Sao Paulo;
- ‘Dal Cucchiaio alla citta 1983,’ Triennale di Milano; (Floor = Furniture bed) Affinita Elettiva at 1985 Triennale di Milano.
- He received a special prize for his work on ‘Expo ’70’; 1967 and 1975 annual prizes of Architectural Institute of Japan;
- 1983 Interiors magazine award;
- 1986 gold medal, Royal Institute of British Architects; and others.
- In 1978, elected an honorary member of Accademia Tiberina, Roma; American Institute of Architects;
- Bund Deutscher Architekten in 1983.
Architecture Books – Amazon
* This website may contain affiliate links, and I may earn a small commission when you click on links at no additional cost. As an Amazon and Sovrn affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.