Medieval guild for Goldsmith Trade
The Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths, also known as the Goldsmiths’ Company, is one of London’s Great Twelve Livery Companies. It is correctly known as The Wardens and Commonalty of the Mystery of Goldsmiths of the City of London. The Company’s headquarters are located in the City of London’s Goldsmiths’ Hall.
The Company, which dates back to the 12th century, was granted a Royal Charter in 1327 and is ranked fifth among City Livery Companies in terms of seniority. Justitia Virtutum Regina is the motto, which means “Justice is Queen of Virtues” in Latin.
The Company was founded in the Middle Ages as a guild for goldsmiths. The term hallmarking comes from Goldsmiths’ Hall, where precious metals were officially inspected and marked.
On the former Perryn estate near Acton, on open land west of London, twenty almshouses were built in 1812. The almshouses were erected on land that John Perryn had left to the Company in 1657.
The Goldsmiths’ Company established the Goldsmiths’ Technical and Recreational Institute in 1891, which later became Goldsmiths, University of London.
The Company is still one of the few Livery Companies with a formal role in its old trade today.
The Goldsmiths’ Company oversees the Assay Office, where precious metals artifacts are evaluated for purity and then marked with an official symbol if they pass. The Goldsmiths’ Company is also in charge of examining the legality of British currency at the Trial of the Pyx.
In Clerkenwell, the Goldsmiths’ Centre opened in 2012 as a location for workshops, exhibitions, events, and education, including apprentice training.
The Goldsmiths’ Company stated in July 2017 that it would donate £10 million to the upcoming Museum of London as a founding partner. It also announced a £250,000 donation to the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Galleries at Westminster Abbey, which opened in 2018.
The Goldsmiths’ Company supported two extensive educational programs, including funds for Imperial College London’s science effort in elementary schools and the National Theatre’s streaming recordings for elementary schools.
Byars, M., & Riley, T. (2004). The design encyclopedia. Laurence King Publishing.
Wikipedia contributors. (2021, April 24). APA style. In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 11:39, May 28, 2021, from https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=APA_style&oldid=1019644967
You may also be interested in
Georg Arthur Jensen was a Danish metalworker. He was born in Faavad. He was apprenticed as a goldsmith. cl895-1901, he studied sculpture, Det Kongelige Danske Kunstakademi, Copenhagen. He served his apprenticeship in Copenhagen for a time under Holm, becoming a journeyman in 1884.
Edward Spenser (1872 – 1938) British metalworker, silversmith, and jeweller – Encyclopedia of Design
Edward Spenser (1872 – 1938) was a British metalworker, silversmith, and jeweller. He was professionally active in London. Spencer was a junior designer at the Artificers’ Guild. When Montague Fordham took over the Guild in 1903, Spenser became chief designer. He designed silver objects with applied shagreen, mother-of-pearl, wood, coconut, and ivory.
Carlo Guiliano was an Italian jeweller and goldsmith who was born in Naples and worked in London. In 1860, Guiliano settled in London and worked for Harry Emanuel. He collaborated with Castellani Italian Jewellers on at least one piece of jewellery. In the archaeological or Etruscan style, he was a talented jeweller.
Lucien Falize (1838- 1897) was French goldsmith and jeweller. He was active in Paris and son of Alexis Falize, father of Andre Falize. When his father retired in 1876, Lucien assumed directorship of the family business. He attempted to expand the business by showing at 1878 Paris ‘Exposition Universelle’ and becoming partners with Germain Bapst.
Mary Quant, a pivotal figure in British fashion design, studied art and design at Goldsmiths College of Art from 1952 to 1955 while also taking evening classes in clothing construction and cutting. In 1955, in Knightsbridge, London, she established her first shop Bazaar on King’s Road, followed by the second shop Terence Conran designed in Knightsbridge.