Fiskars is Finland’s oldest industrial enterprise, having been formed in 1649. Fiskars can be traced back to Peter Thorwéste’s ironworks in southern Finland, founded in 1649. Fiskars has been producing high-quality tableware, kitchen knives, and scissors since the 1820s.
Still, it wasn’t until 1967 that the business gained international recognition by launching its famed orange-handled O-series scissors (1963). The prototype for the ergonomically designed ABS handles of these scissors was carved from wood by engineer and woodcarver Olof Backstrém (b. 1922). The scissors were also made as pinking shears and in a left-handed form and were licenced internationally. This landmark ergonomic design, now known as the Classic, has evolved into a family of 18 scissors throughout the years.
Fiskar Classic Designs
More recently, the Fiskars design team, led by Olavi Lindén (b. 1946), has produced a line of garden tools that has won multiple design awards. Known as Clippers (1996), these tools reflect Fiskars’ “commitment to quality and systematic application of the ergonomic principle, which result in products that are easy, safe and pleasurable to use.”
Fiell, & Fiell. (2000). Industrial design A-Z. Taschen.
You may also be interested in
Orrefors Glasbruk is a Swedish glassware manufacturer. An ironworks was established in 1726 on the property of Halleberg ( the Orrefors estate), Socken, Småland. It started production of ink bottles in 1898. In 1913, Johan Ekman purchased the estate and placed forester Albert Ahlin in charge.
Alvin Lustig, Cover for Industrial Design magazine, April 1954, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, gift of Tamar Cohen, reproduced courtesy F + W Media, Inc. Founded when the industrial design profession was becoming firmly established in the American manufacturing industry, Industrial Design has long been established as America’s leading magazine for industrial designers.
Perttu Mentula was a Finnish architect and interior, exhibition, product, graphic, and furniture designer. Between 1958-60, studied Taideteollinen Korkeakoulu, Helsinki. 1958-60, he was active as an interior and product designer in the offices of Antti Nurmesniemi and Timo Sarpaneva, and of Toivo Korkonen and Reino Lamminsoila, all Helsinki; 1960-77, was active in his design studio; 1964-77, was a designer for Wartsila Shipyards, Helsinki; from 1977, was director of Studio Perttu Mentula Oy.