Joseph Mougin (1876 – 1961) and Pierre Mougin (1879 – 1955) were brothers and French ceramicists born in Nancy.
Joseph Mougin studied at the academy in Nancy and sculpture, École des Beaux-Arts, Paris, under Louis-Ernst Barrias.
Joseph Mougin decided to become a ceramicist after seeing an exhibition of Jean Carriès’s pottery in 1894. He set up a studio and a kiln in Montrouge with the help of sculptor friend Lemarquier and his brother Pierre Mougin.
After two years, because the kiln was poorly constructed and would not fire correctly, Lemarquier left. Joseph Mougin worked for a brief time at Sèvres. He and his brother set up a new kiln in Vaugirard after returning from Paris. The kiln had some problems; however, the brothers could still create some innovative ceramics. Inspired by fellow Nancy artist Victor Prouvé, they exhibited their works at various Paris salons. Their work gained favourable notice and sales to museums, collectors and the French Government.
In 1905 the brothers moved their operations to Nancy, where they became members of Émile Gallé’s artists’ group École de Nancy. They collaborated with Prouvé, Alfred Finot, and Ernest Bussière on pieces in an Art Nouveau style.
After the First World War, the brothers made volume production art pottery at Faïencerie de Lunéville. In the early 1930s, Joseph Mougin left Paris for his old studio in Nancy. Between 1936 and 1960, he continued to make new forms and glazes with his daughter Odile and son François.
The pieces that he designed with Prové, FGinot and Bussière were shown in Paris and were included in the exhibitions of the École de Nancy up to 1914. Joseph Mougin was awarded the grand prize for ceramics at the 1925 Paris ‘Exposition Internationale des Arts Décoratifs et Industriels Modernes.’
Les frères Mougin, sorciers du grand feu – LIBERTY’s Livres. https://livres.libertys.com/fr/book/lib6716/les-freres-mougin-sorciers-du-grand-feu