Steen Østergaard is a Danish designer.
He studied Kunsthandvraekerskolen, Copenhagen to 1960.
The chair was the first to be extruded as a single unit; its fibreglass reinforced-polyester moulded shell was upholstered inside and supported by an underframe of chromium-plated metal.
Cada produced a stacking chair and other plastic models.
- His work was shown at the Kunstindustrimuseet, Stockholm, in 1962 and 1964,
- Erikholm in 1965,
- London in 1970,
- Milan in 1971,
- Boutique Danoise in Paris in 1972.
- He was awarded the first prize at the 1963 furniture fair in Cantu,
- 1966 Johannes Krøiers prize, and
- recognition in San Cataldo in 1966.
You may also be interested in
Ole Wanscher was a Danish architect, furniture designer, and writer. In 1944, studied Bygningsteknisk Skole; subsequently, architecture, Det Kongelige Danske Kunstakademi, Copenhagen. He set up his own office in 1928. He designed furniture showing high standards of woodworking and cabinetmaking and worked for several furniture firms in Copenhagen.
Nanna Ditzel, a leading Danish 20th-century designer, had also worked in furniture, textiles and jewellery design for many decades and has been one of the few women designers in the country to achieve celebrity status.