For more than 250 years, the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts (Danish: Det Kongelige Danske Kunstakademi) has provided education in the arts, playing a role in Denmark’s art growth.
On March 31 1754, the Royal Danish Academy of Portraiture, Sculpture, and Architecture in Copenhagen was opened and given to King Frederik V on his 31st birthday.
The Royal Danish Academy of Painting, Sculpture, and Architecture changed its name in 1771. Johann Friedrich Struensee launched a new scheme at the Academy at the same event to allow artisan apprentices to take additional drawing lessons to improve the notion of good taste. This initiative profited greatly from the building boom arising from the Great Fire of 1795.
Akademiet online: Se en forelæsning, lyt til en podcast – og bliv klogere på moderne arkitektur, københavnske vinduer, universelt design og meget, meget mere, når vores forskere og undervisere øser af deres faglige viden.
The name was changed again in 1814, this time to the Danish Royal Academy of Fine Arts. It is still housed in its original building, the Palace of Charlottenborg, located in Copenhagen on the Kongens Nytorv. Since 1996, the School of Architecture has been housed in the former naval buildings at Holmen.
The Academy is bigger and better funded than the Jutland Art Academy and Funen Art Academy-related programmes.
It teaches and researches the subjects and history of painting, sculpture, design, graphics, photography, and film.
The Danish Ministry of Culture runs the Academy.
Wikipedia contributors. (2020, November 27). Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts. In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 00:12, February 16, 2021, from https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Royal_Danish_Academy_of_Fine_Arts&oldid=991018869
You may also be interested in
They have a lot in common with museums and other galleries, but as an academy they have a wider position to play – to encourage not just the appreciation and understanding of art, but also its practise. Like the founders of the Academy, they are still led by many of the greatest artists and architects of the day.
Christian Joachim was a Danish Ceramicist (1870-1943). Between 1889 he studied at the Det Kongelige Danske Kunstakademi, Copenhagen. Between 1897 and 1900, Joachim made ceramics with George Jensen in a workshop outside Copenhagen.