Riihimäki Glass was a Finnish glass factory. The factory, established in 1810 for the production of domestic glassware, began production of window glass in 1919. It purchased various small factories, including the factory in which the Finnish Glass Museum is located today. After buying the Kaukalahti glassworks in 1927, Riihimaki became the largest glass factory in Finland.
In 1928, they sponsored a glass design competition won by Henry Ericsson. In the mid-1930s, the factory was refitted and upgraded. In 1933 and 1936, sponsored competitions entered by Alvar Aalto, Gunnel Nyman, Arttu Brummer, and others. During the late 1930s, they had expanded into a medical and technical glass.
In 1941, the Kauklahti and Ryttyla glassworks merged with Riihimaen. After World War II, new designers included Helena Tynell and Nanny Still. In 1976, the factory was fully automated and discontinued blown-glass production.
It manufactured glassware and art glass for everyday use until 1976 and cut glass until 1977. It produced only glass and plastic packaging after that. In 1980, Ahlstrom Corporation bought the business and closed the Riihimäki plant in 1990.
Henry Ericsson, Arttu Brummer, Gunnel Nyman, and after 1945, Tamara Aladin, Greta-Lisa Jäderholm-Snellman, Aimo Okkolin, Sakari Pykälä, Timo Sarpaneva, Erkkitapio Siiroinen, Nanny Still and Helena Tynell were among the celebrated designers affiliated with Riihimäki in its early decades.
More on Glassware factories
You may also be interested in
William John Blenko (1854-1926) was British glassmaker. He completed his apprenticeship in a London bottle factory at the age of 10 and studied French and chemistry at night school. In 1890, he introduced Norman slab-type stained glass for a Norfolk church. He settled in Kokomo, Indiana, but returned to England when the business failed.
Webb Corbett is a British glassware manufacturer, located in Stourbridge. Irene Stevens joined Webb Corbett as a designer in 1946. L. Green designed its 1958 Bouquet range of cut glass. David Marquess of Queensberry was retained as a consultant designer in the early 1960s.