Hans Poelzig (1869-1936) was a German architect and designer, he was born in Berlin. Between 1888-95, studied Technische Hochschule, Berlin Charlottenburg and Technische Hocschule, Berlin, under Karl Schäffer.
Between 1899-1916, he worked in his own office in Breslau (now Wroclaw, Poland) and, 1900-16, taught at the Kunst- und Kunstgewerbeschule (after 1911, called the Akademe für Kunst und Kunstgewerbe) in Breslau, where he was director from 1903
Between 1916-20, he was the municipal architect of Dresden and taught at the Technische Hochschule there. From 1920, he was head of a studio at the Preussiche Akademie der Kiinste in Berlin and, in 1923, became a professor at the Technische Hochschule in Berlin Charlottenburg, where pupils included architects Konrad Wachsmann, Rudolf Schwartz, Julius Posener, and Egon Eiermann. He turned to monumental buildings with work including the tour-de-force of Expressionism, the reconstruction of Reinhardt’s Schumann Circus and the 1918-19 Grosses Schauspielhaus in Berlin. The influence of the building could be seen in E. Walmsley Lewis’s New Victoria Cinema interior in London. He set up an architectural practice in Berlin.
His other work included the 1911 office building in Breslau, 1911 water tower at Posen (now Poznan, Poland), 1911-12 chemical factory at Luban (now Poland), 1913 Centenary Exhibition (with Max Berg) at Breslau, 1920-22 Salzburg Festival Theater, 1928-31 IG Farben administration complex in Frankfurt-am-Main and Festival Hall project in Salzburg.
One of the foremost universities in Vienna, Austria, is TU Wien (TUW; German: Technische Universität Wien; also known in English as the Vienna University of Technology from 1975-2014). The University has gained comprehensive international and domestic recognition in both teaching and science and is a highly respected partner of innovation-oriented enterprises.