The Association of Industrial Design (Associazione per il Disegno Industriale) (ADI) Since 1956, has brought together designers, companies, researchers, teachers, critics, journalists around the themes of Italian industrial design. It is the lead organisation of the development of industrial design as a cultural and economic phenomenon in Italy.
What is it?
Its purpose is to promote and contribute to implementing, as a non-profit, the most appropriate conditions for the design of goods and services, by engaging in cultural debate, intervention in institutions, the supply of design services.
For ADI, design is culturally conscious planning, the interface between the individual and collective demand of society and the offer of producers.
It advocates in the design of products, services, visual communication, packaging, interior architecture, and environmental design.
Design is a system that connects production with users by dealing with research, innovation and engineering, to give functionality, social value, cultural significance to the goods and services shared on the market.
How does it work?
- It brings together over 1,000 members residing throughout Italy, active both in the initiatives of the Milan headquarters and with autonomous events at the local level.
- It is a member of the Council of non-regulated professions of the CNEL, the National Council of Economy and Labor, contributing to the development of a legal framework for the public recognition of the design professional.
- Since 1958 it has managed the Compasso d’Oro Award, the oldest recognition in Europe in the design sector. The ADI Compasso d’Oro Collection Foundation collects the design objects awarded in the various categories of the award and the related documentation, takes care of their conservation, promotes historical research and in-depth exhibitions.
In the world:
- It was one of the founders of the ICSID International Council of Societies of Industrial Design, and today WDO World Design Organization, the body of industrial design associations of the countries of the world.
- It is one of the founders of BEDA The Bureau of European Design Associations, the body that brings together the professional associations of industrial design in the countries of Europe.
- He is one of the founders of the ICOGRADA International Council of Graphic Design Associations, now ICO-D International Council of Design.
Sito ufficiale di ADI Associazione per il Disegno Industriale, l’associazione del design italiano attiva dal 1956. Official website of ADI Associazione per il Disegno Industriale, from 1956 the Italian association for design.