Werkstätten Hagenauer were Vienna-based Austrian metalsmiths. Over its nearly ninety-year history, it was a family business in Vienna that produced fine, handcrafted objects for decoration and use. The workshop closed in 1987, but the company’s retail premises on Vienna’s Opernring, which opened in 1938, is still open today as a museum and shop.
The Werkstatten Hagenauer influenced Austrian applied arts in styles ranging from Jungenstil to Vienna Werkstatte to Modernism.
Viennese bronze work was particularly outstanding in Austrian applied arts from 1870 to 1914. The Ringstrasse construction and growing prosperity in Vienna encouraged metalwork production such as candelabra, lamps, vases, watches, andirons, writing utensils, bookends, ashtrays, bar items, and other domestic accessories.
In 1898, there were over 230 factories and workshops in the Viennese metalworking industry. Carl Hagenauer established his Werkstatten Hagenauer this year. He put his knowledge of gold, silver, and other metals to use in styles reminiscent of the Jugendstil. He sold his wares all over the world. Karl Hagenauer, who joined the family firm in 1919, was influenced by Josef Hoffmann and Oskar Strnad. Karl defied Strnad’s generation’s Jungenstil and sought a contemporary foreign genre of the 1920s. The Hagenauer workshop expanded from metalworking to domestic accessories and furniture in various materials, especially after Julius Jirisek joined the firm. Outside designers Otto Prutscher, E.J. Meckel, and Hoffmann contributed to the firm’s output. Its metalwork was made of plated silver and chromium and included carved woods and bronzes. René Coulon, a French designer, collaborated with Jacques Adnet on tempered-glass furniture produced by Hagenauer in 1932.
Wikipedia contributors. (2019, January 13). Werkstätte Hagenauer Wien. In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 03:25, April 16, 2021, from https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Werkst%C3%A4tte_Hagenauer_Wien&oldid=878238446
You may also be interested in
Ernst Riegel 1871 – 1939) was a metalsmith from Germany. He was active in Munich, Darmstadt, and Cologne after being born in Münnerstadt. He worked as an apprentice to silver chaser Otto Pabst in Kempten, Allgau, from 1887 to 1890, and goldsmith Fritz von Miller in Munich from 1895.
Architect Otto Wagner was one of the leading figures in the Vienna Secession. After studying architecture at the Vienna Technical High School (1857-1860) and the Vienna Academy (1861-183), he worked in various historical styles for many years until he joined the Secession.