Artemide is an Italian lighting and furniture manufacturer it is in located Pregnana Milanese.
Studio Artemide was founded in 1959 by Ernesto Gismondi to produce lighting fixtures and plastic furniture. It created the 1966 Demetria 45 table in reinforced resin, followed by the Stadia range, both designed by Vico Magistretti. Its widely published 1969 Boalum snake-like tubular lighting designed by Gianfranco Frattini and Livia Castiglioni was over six feet ( two meters) long. Gismondi gave Ettore Sottsass’s fledgling Memphis group space in the Artemide showroom from 1981.
Artemide’s designers include Gismondi himself and Richard Sapper, Vico Magistretti, Antonio Citterio, Steven Lombardi, F.A. Porche, Gregory H. Tew, Angelo Mangiarotti, Ettore Sottsass, Michele De Lucchi, Giancarlo Fassina, Jean Jacques Villaret, Carlo Forcolini, Mario Botta, Enzo Mari, Mario Bellini, Luciano Vistosi, Lella and Massimo Vignelli, Emilio Ambasz, CP&PR Associati, Eric Gottein, Mitchell Mauk, Sergio Mazza, De Pas-D’Urbino-Lomazzi, Omi Halloween, and Mario Morenco.
Sapper’s 1978 Tizjo lamp was its most popular product.
Received numerous awards, including the 1967 Premio Compasso d’Oro; showed work at numerous international exhibitions, including 1972 ‘Italy: New Domestic Landscape,’ New York Museum of Modern Art.
Byars, M., & Riley, T. (2004). The design encyclopedia. Laurence King Publishing.
You may also be interested
w181 Linier is a minimalist pendant created by Berlin-based designer Dirk Winkel for Wästberg . The w181 linier is a pendant luminaire that appears like a linear lamp at first sight, but its geometrically strict and minimalistic body actually houses a series of 256 ultra tight-packed individual optical systems, utilising a deep-recessed long linear lens with spot characteristics and separated glare-protection compartments.
Kurt Versen was a Swedish consultant, lighting designer, and manufacturer professionally active in the USA. He studied in Germany. Rare 1930s Kurt Versen Machine Age Table Lamp in Polished Aluminium He settled in 1930 in the USA, where he produced lighting for stores, offices, and public buildings, including an early version of indirect lighting for the 1931 Philadelphia Saving Fund Society building, on which Lescaze and Howe were architects and a commission at the 1939 ‘New York World’s Fair.