Børge Mogensen (1914 – 1972) was a Danish furniture designer.
Between 1942-50, he was chair of the furniture design department of the Association of Danish Cooperative Wholesale Societies, designing simple utilitarian pieces.
1945-47, he was an assistant to Kaare Klint at Det Kongelige Danske Kunstakademi.
1945-46, he worked with Hans Wegner.
In 1950, he opened his own office in Copenhagen. Mogensen worked for various architects, including Mogens Koch and Kaare Klint, 1938-42.
In 1962 with Klint, he designed school furniture. He was a design consultant to Karl Andersson, Søborg Møbelfabrik, Fredericia Stolefabrik, Hüskvarna, P. Lauritsen, and Erhard Rasmussen.
From 1953, he was an artistic consultant to C. Olesen. He designed wooden furniture combined with leather and fabric; the fabric was designed with Lis Ahlmann. He designed traditional types of Chinese furniture, Windsor chairs, and Shaker models. They were practical and popular, and some are still in production today.
Mogensen is best known for his 1964 Asserbo Chair 504, produced by Karl Andersson of Hüskvarna. After extensive research into the ideal proportions and standardised measurements for daily use objects, he designed the 0resund system with Grethe Meyer.
1938-62, his work was shown at the ‘Copenhagen Cabinet-makers’ Guild’ annual exhibitions and those of the Danish Society of Arts and Crafts and Industrial Design.
His work was included in the 1968 ‘Two Centuries of Danish Design’ at the Victoria and Albert Museum, London.
He received awards including;
- the 1945 Bissen Legacy,
- 1950 Eckersberg Medal,
- 1953 Dansk K0bestaevne (Danish Trade Fair) Silver Medal,
- 1958 Copenhagen Cabinet-makers’ Guild award of honour, and
- 1971 Danish furniture prize.
- In 1972, elected Honorary Royal Designer for Industry.
Byars, M., & Riley, T. (2004). The design encyclopedia. Laurence King Publishing.
You may also be interested in
For more than 250 years, the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts (Danish: Det Kongelige Danske Kunstakademi) has provided education in the arts, playing a role in Denmark’s art growth. On March 31 1754, the Royal Danish Academy of Portraiture, Sculpture, and Architecture in Copenhagen was opened and given to King Frederik V on his 31st birthday.