National School of Fine Arts, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Escola de Belas Artes website screenshot
Escola de Belas Artes website screenshot

The Escola de Belas Artes (School of Fine Arts) is a former colonial school that is now part of the Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro.

John VI of Portugal founded the Aula Prática de Desenho e Figura in Rio de Janeiro with a royal letter dated November 20, 1800. It was Brazil’s first institution devoted exclusively to the study of the arts. The arts were often religious or utilitarian during colonial times, and they were taught through an apprenticeship scheme.

The Escola Real de Ciências, Artes e Oficios (Royal School of Sciences, Arts and Crafts) was founded by Decree of August 12, 1816, which established an official education in fine arts. The Academia Imperial de Belas Artes (Imperial Academy of Fine Arts) was then founded, creating a system of artistic education that would have a major impact on Brazilian art production.

The old Imperial Academy was renamed the Escola Nacional de Belas Artes on November 8, 1890. (National School of Fine Arts). The School merged with the University of Rio de Janeiro, now known as the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, in 1931.

Departments

Escola de Belas Artes Departments
Escola de Belas Artes Departments

Sources

Escola de Belas Artes – UFRJ: EBA. UFRJ. https://eba.ufrj.br/.

Wikipedia contributors. (2019, May 20). Escola Nacional de Belas Artes. In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 22:26, February 27, 2021, from https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Escola_Nacional_de_Belas_Artes&oldid=897984146

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.