Sergei Vasil’evich Chekhonin (1878 – 1936) was a Russian graphic artist and ceramicist. He was professionally active in St. Petersburg and Paris.
In 1904, he worked at S. Mamontov’s Abramtsevo Ceramic Workshop.
He contributed caricatures and cartoons to progressive publications from 1905 to 1906.
In 1907, at the Petr Vaulin ceramics factory in Kikerino, near St. Petersburg, he produced several majolica panels for buildings in St. Petersburg.
In 1910, he joined V mireiskusstv (World of Art) and contributed to its exhibitions regularly until 1924.
From 1913 to 1918, he worked as a specialist consultant on artistic crafts for the Ministry of Agriculture. He directed the Rostov-Yaroslavkii school for decorative enamel work.
He was artistic director of the State Porcelain Factory in Petrograd/Leningrad after the 1917 Revolution, 1918—23, and 1925–27.
He was credited with much of the period’s agitprop (or agitation-propaganda) porcelain; he painted brightly painted forms with colourful slogans on ceramics blanks originally intended for pre-revolutionary ware; he made no new shapes for porcelain but painted many plates, cups, and saucers himself; and he created hundreds of compositions, drawings, monograms, and anniversary marks for Volkhov Factory.
In 1928, he moved to Paris and worked as a designer for Nikita Baliev’s cabaret “Chauve-souris” and Vera Nemtchinova of the Ballets Russes de Monte Carlo in 1929, as well as for Vogue magazine, designing jewellery, porcelain, and posters.
His work was displayed at the 1925 ‘Exposition Internationale des Arts Décoratifs et Industriels Modernes’ in Paris and was the subject of a 1928 exhibition in the same city.
Byars, M., & Riley, T. (2004). The design encyclopedia. Laurence King Publishing.
You may also be interested in
Agitprop art (or the art of agitation). Art was used to manipulate ideological beliefs, specifically to spread the ideals of Communism in Russia in the period immediately following the 1917 revolution. The term ‘agitprop’ (an abbreviation for agitation propaganda: ‘agitational propaganda’) was first used shortly after the Revolution, and the Communist Party established the Department of Agitation and Propaganda in 1920.
The Imperial Porcelain Factory is a manufacturer of hand-painted ceramics in Saint Petersburg, Russia, also known as the Imperial Porcelain Manufacturer (IPM). It was founded by Dmitry Ivanovich Vinogradov in 1744 and has been sponsored by the Russian tsars since Empress Elizabeth. Many still refer to the factory, the Lomonosov Porcelain Factory, by its well-known former name.