Hannes Wettstein (1958 – 2008) was a Swiss Architect and Designer. He did corporate design, interiors and architecture. Apart from furniture, lamps and accessories, he designed professional sound equipment and watches.
Biography | Hannes Wettstein
He started to work for Cassina in 1994 with his Juno bed, and some more recent projects were presented in 2003. Since 1991 he has also taught; he was a lecturer at the ETH of Zurich and taught at the Hochschule fur Gestaltung in Karlsruhe.
His studio, zed was based in Zurich and designed faucets, cameras and watches as well as stark geometric sofas for Cassina.
“That there is only one race it is the human race.”
Recognition | Hannes Wettstein
He garnered much attention after winning honours and contests, such as the Compasso d’Oro in 2004 for his Dada Nomis kitchen. Wettstein completely matured as a designer and architect in 1991, when he founded his interdisciplinary studio, Zed, by building his corporate image and designing architectural projects.
Hannes Wettstein designed the Swiss Embassy in Tehran and Washington DC, Berlin’s Grand Hyatt hotel chain. Cassina, UMS Pastoe, Shimano, Baleri Italia, Artemide, and the Molteni Group were among the big names in international design with whom he collaborated. He joined 9D Design as a co-founder in 1993. Today, “the Hannes Wettstein Studio,” where his team works, honours his artistic and design legacy.
Highlights of Career
- 1980 Belux, Snodo
- 1982 Belux, Metro
- 1987 Baleri Italia, Juliette
- 1990 Baleri Italia, Caprichair
- 1994 Ventura, v-matic
- 1995 – 1998 Berlin Grand Hyatt
- 1997 – 2002 EST, Bikes
- 1999 – 2008 horgenglarus, Art Direction
- 2000 Lamy, Scribble / Cassina, Globe / Molteni, Alfa
- 2000 – 2008 Carl Zeiss, Optical Instruments
- 2002 Ventura, v-tec Alpha / Bulo, Double You / Dada, Nomis
- 2002 – 2006 Swiss Embassy, Washington D. C.
- 2003 Cassina, Hola / Molteni, Reversi
- 2004 horgenglarus, Lyra
- 2004 – 2008 Juwelier Kurz, Zürich & Basel
- 2005 – 2008 SF, TV Studios
- 2005 Lamy, Studio / Accademia, Vela
- 2007 Max Design, Tototo / Belux, Scope / Erik Jørgensen, Delphi
- 2008 LaPalma, Metis / Molteni, Turner
Cassina. (n.d.). Home. Cassina. Retrieved October 31, 2021, from https://www.cassina.com/it/en/contemporanei/hannes-wettstein.html.
Hannes Wettstein – Molteni designer. Molteni&C. (n.d.). Retrieved October 31, 2021, from https://www.molteni.it/en/designer/hannes-wettstein.
Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.